Sunday, July 18, 2010

Here we go

So here we are. I'm not new to the blogging world, though this is my first time going at it alone and this time around I felt a new space was needed for a new approach. Don't worry I am not abandoning my efforts over at apt212, I'm just branching out into a new place to diversify my thoughts.

My life has been a whirlwind lately and I have thought often about blogging about my new experiences, but needed sometime to put my thoughts in order. Graduating college, returning to Chicago jobless, finding a job, moving out, starting a new chapter of my life. It has been a crazy two months.

I had been a little up in the air, as with all things in my life, about what I wanted to do after college. I was sure I did not want to go to grad school right away, I did not want to enter the corporate world and I knew I wanted to give back to the world. So I applied and applied and applied and then I came across the perfect experience. I applied, I interviewed and I got it! So on Tuesday, July 6th, I embarked on two years of Service as an AmeriCorps*National Direct Corps member serving LIFT as a Site Coordinator in the Uptown office in Chicago, IL.

A few people asked me if I was going to blog about my experience and I had thought about it, but that was the push I needed. I feel like this is going to life changing and thus I want to chronicle my experience and I want to share it all with you. My friends and colleagues from Miami University, the people I have met along the way and those who happen to stumble upon this.

I am still not sure what I want to do with my life, but I hope these two years will help solidify where I want to go next. Thus this blog comes with the tag line "Finding my inspiration"" and I believe I will find it at LIFT whether through my own work, the volunteers I work with or the clients I serve. Additionally, I am a huge believer in getting your hands dirty and facing global challenges, instead of just talking about how terrible things may be. I spent a lot of time discussing solutions in classes without every getting to get out there and experience. It's time for me to put my words into action. Therefore, you get the title of this blog, in addition to it being a line from my favorite song.

I hope you will follow along the next two years as I enter my post college life and embark what will sure to be an exciting term of service. I will do my best to entertain you along the way.

Peace out!

3 comments:

  1. so... guess I'm first. Very new, refreshing tone in your writing - without the usual grammatical errors and spelling mistakes, it almost sounded like a whole new person talking. I must say its a good start. Great choice of layout - very reflective of your aspirations that goes great with the blog. Glad to hear that you're doing great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am genuinely excited about this. Cool background photo also!

    ReplyDelete